The Elkview Baptist Church was organized February 4, 1917, at a four-room schoolhouse in Elkview. Charter members were Mr. and Mrs. Carl Traub, Mr. and Mrs. Wibur Brookman, John Jarrett and Sallie Hall. Thomas Melton was the organizing minister, assisted by C.B. Jackson who served as temporary moderator, and Carrie Taylor was the secretary. In May of that year F. M. Tolbert was called as the first pastor. In the winter of 1918, Mrs. John Jarrett Melton, while visiting relatives in the Elkview –Blue Creek area, heard of the plans to build a church and offered to provide funds for the church in memory of her late husband. The building was constructed of brick with a wood shingled roof. A memorial window in honor of Mr. Melton was installed in front of the church and is still part of the present church building.
In the following years J.W. Hackney, C.E. Burns, B.A. Melton, C. B. Jackson, L.Y. Ashworth, Clyde L. West, Robert Jarrett, S. J. Thomas, William Hunt, Rome Canterbury, and G. C. Hoff each served a brief tenure as pastor of the church. J. Hansford Fisher began his nineteen years of ministry in April, 1948. Under Mr. Fisher’s leadership the church grew spiritually and numerically, and in February, 1963, he was called as the first full time pastor. A new constitution was adopted, the building was painted and remodeled, the Lord continued to add new people to the church, property was purchased adjacent to the church, and plans were being made to erect a new building. Then on April 15, 1967, Pastor Fisher went to be with the Lord.
In October, 1967, Bobby M. Sizemore accepted the call as pastor of the church while serving on the staff of Appalachian Bible Institute. Under Pastor Sizemore’s leadership, two new sanctuaries were erected, the old buildings were renovated, and a gymnasium was built. God increased the ministry of Elkview Baptist Church under the faithful leadership of Pastor Bobby M. Sizemore. On September 25, 2005, Pastor Sizemore retired after 38 years of faithful service.
On October 2, 2005 the Lord placed Pastor David L Keeney, as the Lead Pastor. Under Pastor Keeney the church modernized its current facilities, purchased property for a future campus, and transitioned to a blended worship style. After 15 years of faithful service, Pastor Keeney resigned in early 2016.
In November 2017, the church called Pastor Charles Bias as Lead Pastor. Charles has been in ministry for 25 years. He has served as a Youth Pastor, an overseas Missionary, an Administrative Pastor, and a Lead Pastor. Charles and his family have purchased a home in the community and are excited about the ministry here at EBC!
Elkview Baptist Church continues to reach out in the community, and beyond, to show the love and hope of Jesus Christ.